Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Dunwoody Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeIt’s crucial for your tenants to feel secure and at home in their rental property as a Dunwoody property manager. Guaranteeing a tenant’s safety can reduce vacancies and increase a building’s cash flow. However, if you do not take special precautions, a number of potentially hazardous conditions can arise without your knowledge. Let’s take a look at five of the most common household hazards that, if left unchecked, could cause your tenants’ serious illness or even death. Knowing what those typical household hazards are and how to avoid them is crucial if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

Mold grows where there is moisture and a food source, such as cardboard or paper. A musty odor is frequently produced by mold, and for most people, this is the first indication. Molds come in a variety of forms, the majority of which are unsightly but not especially harmful to people. Stachybotrys, or black mold, on the other hand, can be poisonous. In severe cases, it may result in anaphylactic shock, allergic reactions, and respiratory distress.

The good news is that it’s relatively simple to stop mold from growing in a rental property. Mold can be avoided by simply installing a dehumidifier in the basement, opening the windows, or running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms. Don’t forget to inform and warn your tenants about the dangers of mold. Furthermore, you should conduct routine mold inspections of your home. If you discover black mold, you must immediately contact a professional who can eliminate it safely and fix the source of the moisture that led to its growth in the first place.


There is no question that asbestos is a serious issue, particularly for older rental properties. But if the asbestos is kept inside of walls or other closed spaces, it is generally safe as long as it is not disturbed. If the walls of your rental property have asbestos, you must ensure that your tenant is aware that they must not drill holes or make any other alterations to the walls, not even to drive a nail. Even tiny gaps could allow asbestos to enter the house and lead to cancer such as mesothelioma.

Only trained specialists should remove asbestos. You shouldn’t attempt to remove it yourself or let a tenant do it in order to avoid harm and illnesses related to asbestos.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another potentially dangerous substance that could be found in older rental properties. In older homes, lead paint was frequently used before it was outlawed in 1978. Even if you’ve painted over the old paint, lead-based paint can flake off as a home ages, exposing your tenants, their children, and their pets to the toxin. There are some locations where lead poisoning can also be caused by old pipes.

You should have your rental property’s plumbing and water thoroughly inspected for lead to prevent lead poisoning. Also, if your home was constructed prior to 1978, you should have your paint tested and removed by trained professionals. While covering lead paint with new paint is a temporary workaround, the only way to ensure that your tenants are lead-safe is to completely remove the old paint from all impacted surfaces.


In the United States, residential fires are all too frequent. Unfortunately, fires in the home can be fatal. 2,620 civilian deaths result from the more than 346,000 home fires that occur on average each year. While dryer lint is the main cause of fires that start in the laundry room, oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. In addition to faulty appliances and electrical problems, unattended candles are a leading cause of house fires.

There are several things you should do to keep fires from starting in your rental property. First, the dryer vent should be cleaned once a year, and you should do everything in your power to ensure that your rental property is electrically sound. Second, provide working smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and other necessities while educating your tenants about fire safety. These easy steps will help you significantly lower the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a typical household risk. Burning fuels like charcoal, propane, wood, and other substances release carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space if appliances and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning. The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, blurred vision, nausea, and confusion. Carbon monoxide poisoning can, in severe cases, result in permanent tissue damage or even death.

Proper maintenance and tenant education can help to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s vital to routinely service any fireplaces or appliances that use the fuels mentioned above. Add carbon monoxide detectors to your rental home so that both you and your tenants will be informed of any potential risks. Help your tenants understand that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space if your rental property has a garage or if they have a propane grill or heater on the premises. Providing your tenants with a basic education in safety may prevent them from getting sick or worse.

Securing the health and safety of your tenants is a time-consuming and laborious task. Why not seek advice from professionals? At Real Property Management Greenway, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep your property and tenants safe. Call us at 770-771-6102 to learn more about our services, or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details